What are the things that make ‘engaging’ harder than it need be? Here is my personal starter for 10…
- Methods and practices that are culturally biassed
- Corporatism (I have become increasingly disengaged with the Olympics as it more becomes just a platform for Coca Cola, McDonalds and co.)
- Obfuscation ( the hiding of intended meaning)
- Procedural issues – closed meetings, delayed agendas, delayed minutes
- Fear – will I look a fool?
- Fear – will I make enemies?
- It will be a waste of time – engage or not – it makes no odds
- Emphasis on events over process (we consult or hold a focus group rather than engage in a dialogue over time)
- Language – use of jargon
- Language that is highly gendered or stereotyped
- Culture – lack of capacity to bring people in, to help them learn
Interested in how we can dismantle some of these barriers? http://leedsengagement.eventbrite.co.uk/