As the legendary Bruce Springsteen said back in the 1970s when he just started to win recording contracts – ‘When they pay you $400 a day you get to have $400 dollar a day problems’.
I found a great blog yesterday that quoted some research on the relationship between wealth and stress.
The following five types of deal were offered:
- The Bum Deal: Being stressed out, overworked, and making less than $100,000 per year.
- The Really Bum Deal: Being stressed, overworked, and making less than $25,000 per year.
- The Submission Deal: Making around $20,000 per year, but accepting your dirt-poor status. Your dire situation, in turn, leads to a sense of resignation that allows you to relax and enjoy your free time.
- The You’re-An-Idiot Deal: Being ultra-rich (making more than, say, $3 million per year off interest income), having nothing to do, and stressing out over golf games, financial managers, and all the poor people trying to bilk you out of your fortune.
- The Sweet Deal: Making more than $3 million per year off interest income and relishing your liesure time with hedonistic pleasure. At the same time, you’re conscious enough to avoid misogyny and gambling addictions.
Now I think that sometimes the deals people settle for are a reflection of their self worth, as much as of their potential or achievement.
- What deal have you got?
- And why?
You can read the original post here.