This is the title of an interesting blog post by Lisa Haneberg – author of High Impact Middle Management – which has much to recommend it.
She offers a top 5 list of reasons why managers lose their jobs:
- Fail to build positive and trusting relationships.
- People don’t like working for him or her (micromanagement the #1 complaint).
- He or she does not get things – the right things – done.
- Is uncoachable. They don’t take help.
- Is full of bull – does not have the courage to be honest about what was going well and where things were not going well.
So if we invert this list would we have a compelling recipe for management success?
- Succeeds in building positive and trusting relationships
- People like working for him or her
- He or she regularly gets the right things done
- He or she is very coachable. Always open to learning.
- Has the courage to be honest about what is going well and what is not going so well.